TITLE 20: CORRECTIONS, CRIMINAL JUSTICE, AND LAW ENFORCEMENT
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS
SUBCHAPTER f: COUNTY STANDARDS
PART 701 COUNTY JAIL STANDARDS
SECTION 701.20 PERSONNEL
Section 701.20 Personnel
a) Jail Officer Staffing
1) Each jail must have sufficient personnel to provide adequate 24-hour supervision of detainees.
2) A jail administrator, qualified by training and experience to supervise staff and detainees, shall be appointed when the average daily jail population is expected to exceed 25. If the average daily jail population is 25 or less, the sheriff may function as the jail administrator for purposes of this Part.
3) No person shall be confined without an officer, awake and alert at all times, on continuous duty in the jail.
4) If the jail has more than one floor of detention, one jail officer shall be required for each additional floor when 15 or more detainees are confined. This minimum standard shall not apply to the midnight shift provided 30-minute supervisory checks are performed in accordance with Section 701.130.
5) Supervision shall be provided by a person of the same gender, when feasible, during periods of personal hygiene activities such as showers and toileting.
6) The use of necessary force by a jail officer of a gender other than that of a detainee is permitted.
b) Personnel Rules
1) Each jail officer working in direct contact with detainees shall have a thorough knowledge of rules and emergency procedures.
2) Jail officers shall be thoroughly acquainted with all security features of the jail and the location and use of all emergency equipment and first aid supplies. The familiarization shall be documented.
3) No jail officer shall recommend or furnish any advice concerning the retention of a specific lawyer; however, a list of local lawyers shall be made available.
(Source: Amended at 38 Ill. Reg. 18859, effective October 1, 2014)