TITLE 20: CORRECTIONS, CRIMINAL JUSTICE, AND LAW ENFORCEMENT
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS
SUBCHAPTER f: COUNTY STANDARDS
PART 701 COUNTY JAIL STANDARDS
SECTION 701.150 SAFETY
Section 701.150 Safety
Each facility shall establish and maintain written procedures covering response to and drills for emergency situations, including, but not limited to, natural disasters and mass evacuation. Jail staff shall be trained on the procedures.
b) Fire Protection
1) Based on the size of the facility, there shall be at least one fire extinguisher installed in the basement and on each floor for each 5,000 square feet of floor area.
2) Extinguishers shall be readily accessible to staff but not detainees. The local fire department shall be contacted regarding the location, type and number of fire extinguishers.
3) Extinguishers shall be examined not less than once each year and shall be tagged with the date of inspection and initials of the inspector.
4) All jail personnel shall be familiar with the characteristics and operation of all types of extinguishers in the facility.
5) Each jail shall prepare and post a fire plan requiring simulated fire drills, use of equipment, evacuation procedures and other requirements of the Fire Marshal.
c) Emergency Exits
1) The location of emergency exits shall be made known to all jail personnel and the keys for the doors shall be immediately available to jail staff.
2) There shall be two exits from each floor of detention. All means of egress shall be kept clean and open.
Detainees shall be prohibited from engaging in wrestling, contact sports, horseplay or any activity likely to cause injury.
e) Safety Orientation
Detainees who volunteer and are assigned to vocational tasks shall be given a safety orientation prior to participation.
(Source: Amended at 38 Ill. Reg. 18859, effective October 1, 2014)