TITLE 20: CORRECTIONS, CRIMINAL JUSTICE, AND LAW ENFORCEMENT
CHAPTER II: DEPARTMENT OF STATE POLICE
PART 1240 LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES DATA SYSTEM (LEADS)
SECTION 1240.30 ACCESSING LEADS DATA AND PARTICIPATING IN LEADS
Section 1240.30 Accessing LEADS Data and Participating in LEADS
a) Access to and the extent of participation in LEADS are determined by the criteria in this Section.
b) Definitions as used in this Section
1) "Direct access" refers to having a terminal device or computer located on the agency's premises connected by a data communications link to the LEADS computer.
2) "Full access" refers to direct access to all LEADS data and services.
3) "LEADS data" refers to all data available through the LEADS computer.
4) "LEADS services" refer to:
A) providing access to LEADS files;
B) processing messages through LEADS;
C) providing training and technical support to LEADS users; and
D) other LEADS-related services that may become available from the Department.
5) "Less than full access" refers to limited access to some LEADS data and services.
c) Criteria for Full Access
To qualify for full access to LEADS:
1) the following criteria must be met:
A) The candidate organization must be a criminal justice agency as defined in the U.S. Department of Justice Regulations on Criminal Justice Information Systems (28 CFR 20, Subpart A); or
B) The candidate organization must be under the management control of a criminal justice agency; or
C) The candidate organization must be a governmental consolidated dispatch center for providing police dispatch services and must have entered into a specific agreement with a criminal justice agency to provide services for the administration of criminal justice pursuant to that agreement. The agreement must be approved by the LEADS Administrator and incorporated into the LEADS interagency agreement; or
D) The candidate organization must be a non-governmental railroad or campus police department that performs the administration of criminal justice, has arrest powers pursuant to State statute, allocates a substantial part of its budget to the administration of justice, and meets the training requirements established by law for peace officers; or
E) The candidate organization must be authorized by law to access some or all LEADS data and the organization's utilization of LEADS will not adversely impact criminal justice purposes; and
2) The participating organization must enter into a LEADS interagency agreement reflecting rights and duties of the parties.