TITLE 20: CORRECTIONS, CRIMINAL JUSTICE, AND LAW ENFORCEMENT
CHAPTER IX: DEPARTMENT OF JUVENILE JUSTICE
SUBCHAPTER d: OPERATIONS
PART 2525 RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES
SECTION 2525.310 REQUEST FOR PERMISSION TO MARRY
Section 2525.310 Request for Permission to Marry
a) Marriage between two youth confined in Department youth centers shall be prohibited.
b) A youth who wishes to become married shall submit a written request to the Chief Administrative Officer a minimum of 30 days in advance of the date requested for the marriage ceremony.
1) The notice shall include the name and address of the intended spouse and a description of any actions which have been taken in obtaining a marriage license and in complying with applicable provisions of the law.
2) All financial obligations shall be the responsibility of the youth or the intended spouse.
c) The youth center chaplain or an individual designated by the Chief Administrative Officer shall conduct a pre-marital counseling session with the youth or the intended spouse or both.
d) The Chief Administrative Officer shall review the request to marry and shall approve or deny the request based on security concerns, the best interest of the youth, or other legitimate penological interests. The Chief Administrative Officer's decision regarding the request to marry and, if applicable, the leave request, shall be made in writing. A copy of the written decision shall be provided to the youth.
e) The youth center shall make its chapel or another suitable location available for the performance of the approved marriage ceremony.
1) The youth center's chaplain shall review the type of ceremony that is requested and refer a description of the proposed ceremony to the Chief Administrative Officer for approval.
2) Witnesses and guests shall not exceed 6 in number, excluding the officiating clergyman. Witnesses and guests must be on the youth's approved visiting list, except as otherwise approved by the Chief Administrative Officer.
3) Facilities for the consummation of marriages or for a reception shall not be provided.