TITLE 23: EDUCATION AND CULTURAL RESOURCES
SUBTITLE A: EDUCATION
CHAPTER I: STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PERSONNEL
PART 26 STANDARDS FOR ENDORSEMENTS IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION AND IN ELEMENTARY EDUCATION
SECTION 26.190 DIVERSITY
Section 26.190 Diversity
The competent early childhood teacher understands how children and families differ in their perspectives and approaches to learning and creates opportunities for growth and learning that are developmentally and culturally appropriate and are adapted for children from birth through grade three.
a) Knowledge Indicators – The competent early childhood teacher:
1) understands conditions that affect children's development and learning, including risk factors, developmental variations, and developmental patterns of related to specific disabilities.
2) understands cultural and linguistic diversity and the significance of familial, socio-cultural, and political contexts for development and learning.
3) recognizes that children are best understood within the contexts of family, culture, and society.
4) understands the function of the home language in the development of young children and the interrelationships among culture, language, and thought.
b) Performance Indicators – The competent early childhood teacher:
1) creates and modifies environments and experiences that meet the individual needs of all children from birth through grade three and their families, including children with disabilities, developmental delays, and special abilities.
2) respects and affirms culturally and linguistically diverse children from birth through grade three and their families.
3) supports home language preservation and creates learning environments and experiences that are free of bias.
4) demonstrates sensitivity to differences in family structures and social and cultural backgrounds.
5) works effectively over time with children of diverse ages (infants, toddlers, preprimary and primary students), with children of differing abilities, and with children reflecting culturally and linguistically diverse family systems.