TITLE 23: EDUCATION AND CULTURAL RESOURCES
SUBTITLE A: EDUCATION
CHAPTER I: STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PERSONNEL
PART 26 STANDARDS FOR ENDORSEMENTS IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION AND IN ELEMENTARY EDUCATION
SECTION 26.410 LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
Section 26.410 Learning Environment
The competent elementary teacher understands individual/group motivation and behavior and uses that understanding to create a learning environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation.
a) Knowledge Indicators – The competent elementary teacher:
1) understands principles of and strategies for effective classroom management.
2) understands how individuals influence groups, how groups influence individuals, and how groups function in society.
3) understands how to help students work cooperatively and productively in groups.
4) understands factors that influence motivation and engagement and how to help students become self-motivated.
b) Performance Indicators – The competent elementary teacher:
1) creates a learning community in which students take responsibility for themselves and others, participate in decision-making, and work independently and in cooperative learning groups.
2) promotes social relationships, students' motivation and engagement in productive work through mutual respect, and support for one another.
3) organizes, allocates, and manages time, materials, and physical space to provide active and equitable engagement of students in productive tasks.