TITLE 23: EDUCATION AND CULTURAL RESOURCES
SUBTITLE A: EDUCATION
CHAPTER I: STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PERSONNEL
PART 26 STANDARDS FOR ENDORSEMENTS IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION AND IN ELEMENTARY EDUCATION
SECTION 26.430 COMMUNICATION
Section 26.430 Communication
The competent elementary teacher uses knowledge of effective written, verbal, nonverbal, and visual communication techniques to foster active inquiry, collaboration, and supportive interaction.
a) Knowledge Indicators – The competent elementary teacher:
1) understands communication theory, language development, and the role of language in learning.
2) understands how individual, cultural, linguistic, and gender differences can affect communication in the classroom.
3) understands the social, intellectual, and political implications of language use.
4) understands the importance of audience and purpose when communicating ideas.
b) Performance Indicators – The competent elementary teacher:
1) models accurate, effective modes of communication and uses a variety of communication tools, including technology.
2) uses effective questioning techniques and stimulates discussion in different ways for specific instructional purposes.
3) creates varied opportunities for all students to use effective written, verbal, nonverbal, and visual communication.
4) communicates with all students in a supportive manner.
5) practices effective listening, conflict-resolution, and group-facilitation skills as a team member.