TITLE 23: EDUCATION AND CULTURAL RESOURCES
SUBTITLE A: EDUCATION
CHAPTER I: STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PERSONNEL
PART 51 DISMISSAL OF TENURED TEACHERS UNDER ARTICLE 24 AND DISMISSAL OF TENURED TEACHERS AND PRINCIPALS UNDER ARTICLE 34 OF THE SCHOOL CODE
SECTION 51.235 APPROVAL OF PROVIDERS OF PERA TRAINING
Section 51.235 Approval of Providers of PERA Training
In accordance with Section 24-16.5(f) of the School Code, only members of the Board who have successfully completed a training program regarding performance evaluations administered or approved by the State Board shall consider the findings of fact and recommendation and make a determination as to whether the affected tenured teacher should be retained or dismissed using procedures set forth in this Subpart C.
a) Training organizations, institutions, regional offices of education, firms, professional associations, universities and colleges, or individuals may apply to the State Board of Education for approval to conduct PERA training.
b) Each entity wishing to receive approval to offer PERA training shall submit an application on a form supplied by the State Board of Education. An entity shall submit the application to the State Board of Education any time between March 1 and May 1 of each even-numbered year. Any application received after May 1 shall not be considered for that approval cycle. The application shall include, but is not limited to:
1) evidence that the entity is knowledgeable about PERA and the optional alternative evaluation process;
2) a description of the training to be provided, to address how the training activities will present participants with:
A) a basic foundation of PERA;
B) information specific to the components of a performance evaluation plan required under Article 24A of the School Code [105 ILCS 5/Art. 24A]; and
C) information about the processes and procedures (i.e., professional development plans, remediation plans, dismissal procedures) to take place in the event of a "needs improvement" or "unsatisfactory" performance evaluation rating, as defined in 23 Ill. Adm. Code 50.30 (Evaluation of Educator Licensed Employees under Articles 24A and 34 of the School Code);
3) the qualifications and experience of the entity and of each presenter to be assigned to provide the PERA training, which shall include evidence of a presenter's specific skills and knowledge in this area; and
4) assurances that the requirements of subsection (c) of this Section will be met.
c) Each entity approved to provide training under this Section shall:
1) verify attendance at its training activities, provide to participants a written confirmation of their completion of the training, and require participants to complete an evaluation of the training; and
2) maintain attendance and evaluation records for a period of not less than five years for each event or activity it conducts or sponsors.
d) Applicants may be asked to clarify particular aspects of their materials.
e) The State Superintendent of Education shall respond to each application for approval no later than 30 days after receiving it.
f) An entity shall be approved to offer PERA training if the entity's application presents evidence that the training that it conducts will be developed and presented by persons knowledgeable about PERA.
g) The State Board of Education will post on its website at www.isbe.net the list of all approved providers.
h) Approval as a provider shall be valid for two calendar years (i.e., January 1 through December 31). To request renewal of approval, a provider shall submit a renewal application on a form supplied by the State Board of Education, within the timeframe specified in subsection (b) of this Section, and containing:
1) a description of any significant changes in the material submitted as part of its approved application or a certification that no such changes have occurred;
2) assurances that the PERA trainings will be provided in a manner consistent with the content of the approved application and any changes proposed for the renewal period.
i) A provider's approval shall be renewed if the application conforms to the requirements of subsection (h), provided that the State Superintendent has received no evidence of noncompliance with the requirements of this Section.
j) The State Board of Education may evaluate an approved provider at any time to ensure compliance with the requirements of this Section. Upon request by the State Board, a provider shall supply information regarding its schedule of training, which the State Board may, at its discretion, monitor at any time. In the event an evaluation indicates that the requirements have not been met, the State Board of Education may withdraw approval of the provider.
(Source: Added at 38 Ill. Reg. 21906, effective November 3, 2014)