TITLE 23: EDUCATION AND CULTURAL RESOURCES
SUBTITLE A: EDUCATION
CHAPTER I: STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
SUBCHAPTER d: CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING MAINTENANCE
PART 180 HEALTH/LIFE SAFETY CODE FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS
SECTION 180.200 APPLICATION FOR BUILDING PERMIT
Section 180.200 Application for Building Permit
No construction or other, like activity as defined in Section 180.30 shall begin until a building permit has been obtained pursuant to the following provisions.
a) The school board shall file an Application for a Building Permit ("application") with the regional superintendent having jurisdiction over the board of education in question, on a form prescribed by the regional superintendent. If the board is not the owner, the board shall attach an affidavit from the owner indicating the owner's consent for the proposed work.
b) The completed application shall be accompanied by two copies of all relevant construction documents.
1) Plans and specifications submitted as part of an application shall be prepared by or under the supervision of an architect or engineer. They shall bear the stamp of, and the following certification signed by, the responsible architect or engineer:
2) Whenever reference is made in plans or specifications to this Part or the codes incorporated by Section 180.60, the reference shall identify the specific edition, section and subsections applicable to the subject in question.
c) Upon receipt of an application, the regional superintendent shall record the date of submission by the school board and assign a unique identification number to that application. This identification number shall be used on all building permits issued pursuant to the application.
d) The regional superintendent shall not issue a building permit until he or she has reviewed:
1) signed and dated Plan Review Statements for the International Property Maintenance Code, the Illinois Accessibility Code, the Illinois Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Code, and the Illinois Plumbing Code, as applicable to the project;
2) signed and dated Plan Review Records for the International Building Code, the International Energy Conservation Code, the International Fire Code, the International Mechanical Code and the International Fuel Gas Code, as applicable to the project;
3) signed and dated Plan Review Records for any required sprinkler systems, which may be reviewed after a building permit is issued but before construction or other activity begins, provided that fire flow tests, preliminary hydraulic calculations showing estimated fire flow availability and an indication of whether a pump will be needed is reviewed by the regional superintendent prior to issuing a building permit; and
4) if the proposed work involves the installation of a closed, prefabricated mechanical system (e.g., a window air conditioner or heating, ventilating, air conditioning (HVAC) unit), an evaluation report on that system from an approved inspection agency and verified that the report supports the use of the mechanical system in question as proposed.
(Source: Amended at 40 Ill. Reg. 3059, effective January 27, 2016)