TITLE 23: EDUCATION AND CULTURAL RESOURCES
SUBTITLE A: EDUCATION
CHAPTER I: STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
SUBCHAPTER d: CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING MAINTENANCE
PART 180 HEALTH/LIFE SAFETY CODE FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS
SECTION 180.410 UNSAFE CONDITIONS
Section 180.410 Unsafe Conditions
a) Whenever the regional superintendent shall find, in any facility, dangerous or hazardous conditions or materials, the regional superintendent shall have the authority to order such dangerous conditions or materials to be removed or remedied, whether or not a violation of any specific provision of this Part is involved. Such conditions may include, but are not limited to, the following.
1) Conditions liable to cause or contribute to the spread of fire.
2) Conditions which interfere with the efficiency or operation of any fire protection equipment and system.
3) Obstructions to or on fire escapes, stairs, passageways, doors or windows, which are liable to interfere with the egress of occupants or the operation of the fire department in case of fire.
4) Accumulations of dust or waste material in air-conditioning or ventilating systems or grease in kitchen or other exhaust ducts.
5) Accumulations of grease on kitchen cooking equipment, or oil, grease or dirt upon, under or around any mechanical equipment.
6) Accumulations of rubbish, wastepaper, boxes, shavings or other combustible materials, or excessive storage of any combustible material.
7) Hazardous conditions arising from defective or improperly utilized or installed electrical wiring, equipment or appliances.
8) Hazardous conditions arising from defective or improperly installed equipment for handling or using combustible, explosive or otherwise hazardous materials.
9) Dangerous or unlawful amounts of combustible, explosive or otherwise hazardous materials.
10) Any equipment, materials, processes or operations which are in violation of the provisions and intent of this Part.
b) The regional superintendent shall have the authority to place out of service immediately any unsafe device or equipment regulated by this Part. Unsafe equipment may include, but is not limited to, any boiler, heating equipment, elevator, moving stairway, electrical wiring or device, flammable liquid containers or other equipment on the premises or within the facility which is in such disrepair or condition that such equipment is a hazard to life, health, property or safety.
c) Any device or equipment placed out of service by the regional superintendent shall be plainly marked with a sign or tag, which shall not be tampered with, defaced or removed except by the regional superintendent.
d) Equipment deemed unsafe and placed out of service by the regional superintendent shall not be operated after the date of the regional superintendent's order until the required repairs or changes have been made and the equipment has been approved.