TITLE 23: EDUCATION AND CULTURAL RESOURCES
SUBTITLE A: EDUCATION
CHAPTER I: STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
SUBCHAPTER d: CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING MAINTENANCE
PART 180 HEALTH/LIFE SAFETY CODE FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS
SECTION 180.420 TEMPORARY CLOSING AND CONDEMNATION
Section 180.420 Temporary Closing and Condemnation
a) If, in the opinion of the regional superintendent, a facility or part of a facility poses an imminent threat to the health or safety of its occupants, the regional superintendent shall temporarily close that facility or part of the facility pending determination of the extent of the hazard and order it evacuated immediately.
1) The regional superintendent shall cause to be posted at each entrance to the affected facility a notice reading as follows: "This Facility is Unsafe and its Occupancy has been Prohibited by the Regional Superintendent."
2) Notice of the closing shall also be served on the school district superintendent.
3) No person shall enter a facility so closed, except for the purpose of inspecting, repairing, or demolishing it.
b) The regional superintendent shall request that the facility or part of the facility be inspected by appropriate personnel from either the Department of Public Health, the State Fire Marshal, or the State Board of Education, depending upon the circumstances. The officials shall inspect the facility or part of the facility in question; state, in writing, whether the facility is unsafe, unsanitary, or unfit for occupancy; and indicate the reasons for their conclusions. (Section 3-14.22 of the School Code.) The report of the inspection required shall be submitted to the regional superintendent as soon as possible.
c) Upon receipt of this report, the regional superintendent shall:
1) Lift the closing order, if the report indicates that the facility is not unsafe, unsanitary, or unfit for occupancy; or
2) Issue a condemnation order, if the report indicates this to be warranted, and include the listing of particulars contained in the report required pursuant to subsection (b) of this Section.
(Source: Amended at 29 Ill. Reg. 15904, effective October 3, 2005)