TITLE 20: CORRECTIONS, CRIMINAL JUSTICE, AND LAW ENFORCEMENT
CHAPTER II: ILLINOIS STATE POLICE
PART 1230 FIREARM OWNER'S IDENTIFICATION CARD ACT
SECTION 1230.50 RETURN OF FOID CARD APPLICANT
Section 1230.50 Return of FOID Card – Applicant
1) The Department will suspend the FOID Card pursuant to Section 8.3 of the Act, whenever the Department finds that a person to whom a FOID Card was previously issued is disqualified pursuant to:
A) Section 8.2 of the Act as the result of a Protective Order and the duration of the disqualification is expected to be less than one year;
B) Section 8(n) of the Act as the result of Felony Indictment; or
C) Section 8(d) of the Act because the person is an Unlawful Drug Use if the person is prohibited under Illinois law from possessing firearms.
2) Upon receiving notice of suspension, the FOID Card holder must comply with the Firearms Disposition Record (FDR) provisions of Section 9.5 of the Act but shall surrender the FOID Card to the law enforcement agency or person listed on the FDR regardless of whether the FOID Card holder owns or possesses firearms.
3) The suspended FOID Card shall be invalid for the duration of the disqualification and suspension, including but not limited to, prohibiting the possession, purchase, sale, transfer or exchange of firearms and firearms ammunition.
4) The FOID Card holder shall provide written notification to the Department upon conclusion of the disqualification.
5) After verifying the conclusion of the disqualification, the Department will provide written notice and reinstate the FOID Card.
6) The FOID Card holder may appeal the suspension consistent with the provisions of Section 10 of the Act and Section 1230.70 of this Part.
1) Whenever the Department finds that a person to whom a FOID Card was previously issued is disqualified pursuant to Section 8 or 8.2 of the Act other than as the result of a disqualification as provided in subsection (a)(1), the Department may revoke and seize the FOID Card.
2) Upon receiving notice of revocation, the FOID Card holder must comply with the provisions of Section 9.5 of the Act in its entirety.
A) A copy of the required Firearm Disposition Record can be found on the Department's website.
B) Individuals whose FOID Cards were confiscated by law enforcement or the courts must submit documentation of the confiscation with the Firearm Disposition Record.
3) The FOID Card holder may appeal the revocation consistent with the provisions of Section 10 of the Act and Section 1230.70 of this Part.
c) Cancelled. Pursuant to Section 8.4 of the Act, individuals who are not prohibited by State or federal law from acquiring or possessing a firearm or firearm ammunition may cancel their FOID Cards for administrative purposes.
1) The Department will, at the FOID Card holder's request, cancel a FOID Card whenever an individual reports to the Department that:
A) they have surrendered their Illinois driver's license or Illinois Identification Card to another jurisdiction;
B) their FOID Card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed; or
C) they no longer wish to possess a FOID Card.
2) If an applicant's payment is rejected due to insufficient funds and the applicant fails to pay all required fees, then the Department will cancel the applicant's FOID Card.
3) FOID Cards that are cancelled are not subject to the requirements of Section 9.5 of the Act but must be destroyed or surrendered to law enforcement.
d) Notwithstanding the provisions of this Section, the Department will comply with any court order to the contrary that is not void as a matter of law.
(Source: Amended at 46 Ill. Reg. 1057, effective December 21, 2021)