TITLE 47: HOUSING AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE AND ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY
PART 110 STATE ADMINISTRATION OF THE FEDERAL COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT PROGRAM FOR SMALL CITIES
SECTION 110.40 FEDERAL/STATE PROGRAM OBJECTIVES
Section 110.40 Federal/State Program Objectives
a) In order to ensure that the State administered program complies with the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, as amended, a CDBG assisted activity must meet one or more of the following national objectives:
1) Benefiting low and moderate-income persons;
2) Aiding in the prevention or elimination of slums and/or blight; or
3) Meeting other community development needs that pose a serious and immediate threat to the health and welfare of the community that are of recent origin or recently became urgent, generally within the previous 18 months.
b) National Objectives
1) To complement these federally mandated national objectives, the State has established the following specific objectives for the CDBG Program:
A) Strengthening community economic development through the creation of jobs, stimulation of private investment, and strengthening of the tax base;
B) Alleviation of economic distress and realizing community economic development opportunities of benefit for low- and moderate-income individuals;
C) Improvement of public infrastructure and elimination of conditions that are detrimental to health, safety, and public welfare;
D) Conservation and expansion of the State's housing stock in order to provide a decent home and a suitable living environment for persons of low- and moderate-income and persons with disabilities.
2) There are several criteria by which an activity can meet a national objective. Units of general local government should consult the Illinois Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Grants Management Handbook that explains the three national objectives in detail, including the criteria for meeting each one, and the documentation that must be provided to comply with the HUD requirements.
(Source: Amended at 42 Ill. Reg. 19976, effective October 29, 2018)