TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER k: COMMUNICABLE DISEASE CONTROL AND IMMUNIZATIONS
PART 690 CONTROL OF COMMUNICABLE DISEASES CODE
SECTION 690.555 NEISSERIA MENINGITIDIS, MENINGITIS AND INVASIVE DISEASE (REPORTABLE BY TELEPHONE OR FACSIMILE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, WITHIN 24 HOURS)
Section 690.555 Neisseria meningitidis, Meningitis and Invasive Disease (Reportable by telephone or facsimile as soon as possible, within 24 hours)
a) Control of Case. Standard Precautions and Droplet Precautions shall be followed. Droplet Precautions shall be followed until 24 hours after initiation of effective antimicrobial therapy.
b) Control of Contacts.
1) No restrictions.
2) Vaccination should be considered in selected outbreaks following guidelines in Section 690.1010(a)(3).
3) Vaccination recommendations for children, adolescents and young adults are specified in Section 690.1010(a)(3).
4) Recommendations for chemoprophylaxis of close contacts are specified in Section 690.1010(a)(3).
c) Laboratory Reporting.
1) Laboratories shall report to the local health authority patients who have a positive result on any laboratory test indicative of and specific for detecting Neisseria meningitidis from a normally sterile site.
2) Persons with purpura fulminans diagnosed by a physician shall also be reported to the local health authority.
3) Laboratories shall forward clinical materials from a normally sterile site that are positive for Neisseria meningitidis to the Department's laboratory.
(Source: Amended at 32 Ill. Reg. 3777, effective March 3, 2008)