TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER k: COMMUNICABLE DISEASE CONTROL AND IMMUNIZATIONS
PART 690 CONTROL OF COMMUNICABLE DISEASES CODE
SECTION 690.1325 CONDITIONS AND PRINCIPLES FOR ISOLATION AND QUARANTINE
Section 690.1325 Conditions and Principles for Isolation and Quarantine
a) The Department and the certified local health department shall adhere to the following conditions and principles when ordering the isolation or quarantine of a person or group of persons:
1) Isolation or quarantine shall be by the least restrictive means necessary to prevent the spread of a dangerously contagious or infectious disease to others consistent with the rules of the Department or in guidelines issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and may include, but is not limited to, confinement to private homes or other public or private premises;
2) Isolated individuals shall be confined separately from quarantined individuals;
3) The health status of isolated or quarantined individuals shall be monitored regularly to determine whether they require continued isolation or quarantine;
4) A quarantined individual shall promptly be placed in isolation if the individual subsequently becomes infected or is reasonably believed to have become infected with a dangerously contagious or infectious disease that the Department or certified local health department believes poses a significant threat to the health and safety of other quarantined individuals;
5) Isolated or quarantined individuals shall be released when the Department or certified local health department determines that the individuals pose no substantial risk of transmitting a dangerously contagious or infectious disease that would constitute a serious or imminent threat to the health and safety of others;
6) To the extent possible, cultural and religious beliefs shall be considered in addressing the needs of individuals and in establishing and maintaining isolation or quarantine premises;
7) Isolation or quarantine shall not abridge the right of any person to rely exclusively on spiritual means (e.g., through prayer) to treat a dangerously contagious or infectious disease in accordance with religious tenets and practices, nor shall anything in this Subpart be deemed to prohibit a person so relying who is infected with a dangerously contagious or infectious disease from being isolated or quarantined in a private place of his or her own choice, provided that the location is approved by the Department or certified local health department. The Department or certified local health department may isolate infected individuals who decline treatment for the period of time they are believed to be infectious and may quarantine individuals for the period during which they may become infectious. The department or
b) An individual who is subject to an order of isolation or quarantine may supply the addresses and/or telephone numbers of friends and/or relatives to receive notification of the person's detention and the Department or the certified local health department shall, upon request, provide notice to at least one such contact person and, where reasonably practicable under the totality of the circumstances, may provide notice to a reasonably number of persons that the individual is being detained.
c) An individual who is detained in a medical facility, premises or other isolation or quarantine facility shall not conduct himself or herself in a disorderly manner, and shall not leave or attempt to leave such facility or premises until he or she is discharged pursuant to this Subpart.
d) Management of a dangerously contagious or infectious disease for an affected area may require the coordinated use of local, regional, State, and national resources to specify one or more affected areas to be placed under isolation or quarantine or to be closed, so as to protect as many people as possible in the least restrictive means. If defining the precise boundaries and time frame of the exposure is not possible, or changes as additional information becomes available, the Department or certified local health department shall work with emergency management authorities to communicate the latest available information to persons in the affected area.
e) The Department encourages certified local health departments to collaborate with State, federal and local entities in meeting the needs of isolated or quarantined persons in a systematic and competent fashion, including, but not limited to, the need for adequate food, clothing, shelter, communication with persons outside these settings, medication, and medical care.
(Source: Added at 32 Ill. Reg. 3777, effective March 3, 2008)