TITLE 92: TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER II: SECRETARY OF STATE
PART 1010 CERTIFICATES OF TITLE, REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES
SECTION 1010.460 SPECIAL PLATES FOR MEMBERS OF THE UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES RESERVES
Section 1010.460 Special Plates for Members of the United States Armed Forces Reserves
For the purposes of Ill. Rev. Stat. 1985, ch. 95½, par. 3-622:
A member of the "Reserves" means any person classified as a Ready Reserve under 10 U.S.C. 268 (1982), that is, a Reserve subject to active duty pursuant to 10 U.S.C. 672 and/or 673 (1982). Members of the Reserves shall not include either Standby Reserves or Retired Reserves.
"United States Armed Forces Reserves" shall mean members of the Air Force Reserve, Army Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Naval Reserve.
b) Application Procedure
1) Affirmation Form
In addition to the registration application or renewal form and applicable registration fees submitted by all vehicle registrants, an application for the U.S. Armed Forces Reserves plate shall include an affirmation form signed by the applicant and the unit commander or his representative. The affirmation form shall list the applicant's name and address in Illinois, designate the applicant's unit, and specify the expiration date of the applicant and the unit commander or his representative shall affirm that the information supplied is true and correct and may be verified by the records of the U.S. Armed Forces Reserves.
2) An affirmation form shall be submitted for each registration year, unless the form previously filed indicates the term of enlistment or appointment covers the 12 month registration year for which the license plate will be issued.
3) To obtain the U.S. Armed Forces Reserves plate prior to the expiration of the vehicle's current registration, the applicant shall pay a registration reclassification fee and surrender the vehicle's current license plates.
c) Plate Design
The U.S. Armed Forces Reserves plates are red and blue on a white background. The capital letter "R" designates Reserves status. On the left side the words "Armed Forces Reserves" circle five stars, symbolizing the five branches of the U.S. Armed Forces Reserves.
1) The applicant's term of enlistment or appointment must include the full twelve months of the registration year.
2) The Secretary of State shall revoke an U.S. Armed Forces Reserves plate issued to any individual not a member of the U.S. Armed Forces Reserves during the registration year for which the plate was issued.
3) Every applicant must be an Illinois resident (Ill. Rev. Stat. 1985, ch. 95½, par. 3-622) although he or she may be stationed or perform reserve duty outside of Illinois.
4) The U.S. Armed Forces Reserves plate shall only be issued for passenger vehicles of the first division or motor vehicles of the second division weighing not more than 8000 pounds (Ill. Rev. Stat. 1985, ch. 95½, par. 3-622).
5) The fees for the U.S. Armed Forces Reserves plate shall be the same as passenger vehicles (Ill. Rev. Stat. 1985, ch. 95½, par. 3-806) and Class B trucks (Ill. Rev. Stat. 1985, ch. 95½, par. 3-815).
6) Applications for and questions about the U.S. Armed Forces Reserves license plate should be directed to the Secretary of State, Non-Standard Plates Section, Room 539 Centennial Building, Springfield, Illinois 62706.
(Source: Amended at 10 Ill. Reg. 14308, effective August 19, 1986)