Synopsis As Introduced Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Deletes language providing that the Section concerning the traffic and pedestrian stop statistical study is repealed on July 1, 2019. Provides that the Department of Transportation shall report specified findings and recommendations to the Governor and the General Assembly on March 1, 2022 (rather than March 1, 2004). Effective immediately.
Fiscal Note (Dept. of Transportation)
The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) currently has a contract with a consultant to analyze the stop data reported by the various law enforcement agencies in the state. IDOT then published the final report annually. To continue reporting the data after July 1, 2019 would require a new contract with a consultant. The estimated cost of this contract for each year is $168,000, Of that amount, 80% ($134,400) would be reimbursed by the NHTSA and the other 20% ($33,600) would be the state match. To cover the contract for 3 years (until 2022) would be a total cost of $504,000 of which $100,800 would be the state's share of the cost.
House Floor Amendment No. 1 Tasks the Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority (ICJIA), rather than the Department of Transportation, with the collection, compilation, and analysis of the traffic stop statistical study data required by the Section. Creates the Traffic and Pedestrian Stop Data Use and Collection Task Force within the ICJIA to undertake these responsibilities. Prescribes membership for the Task Force and provides that it shall report its findings and recommendations to the Governor and the General Assembly by March 1, 2022 and every 3 years after.