Rep. Kevin John Olickal

Filed: 4/1/2024





10300HB5507ham002LRB103 38888 JRC 71516 a


2    AMENDMENT NO. ______. Amend House Bill 5507 by replacing
3everything after the enacting clause with the following:
4    "Section 5. The Code of Civil Procedure is amended by
5adding Section 21-106 as follows:
6    (735 ILCS 5/21-106 new)
7    Sec. 21-106. Judicial order; findings of fact.
8    (a) Legislative intent. Residents of this State who were
9born in another state or in another country may have
10difficulty in securing a birth certificate with the correct
11information. It is the intent of the General Assembly that
12Illinois should have a legal process available for these
13residents to seek a judicial order making findings of fact so
14that they may petition the issuing jurisdiction to change a
15birth certificate.
16    (b) An Illinois resident may file a petition in the



10300HB5507ham002- 2 -LRB103 38888 JRC 71516 a

1resident's county of residence asking for a court to issue a
2finding of fact or facts to correct or update a birth
3certificate issued by another state or country.
4    (c) The petition must contain the following information:
5        (1) the petitioner's name and current address;
6        (2) the change that is sought; and
7        (3) the reason for the change.
8    (d) The court must schedule a hearing for this request.
9    Section 99. Effective date. This Act takes effect upon
10becoming law.".