Full Text of HB0002 101st General Assembly
HB0002enr 101ST GENERAL ASSEMBLY
|HB0002 Enrolled||LRB101 03317 RPS 48325 b|
AN ACT concerning health.
Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois,
represented in the General Assembly:
The Medical Patient Rights Act is amended by
adding Section 3.4 as follows:
(410 ILCS 50/3.4 new)
Rights of women; pregnancy and childbirth.
(a) In addition to any other right provided under this Act,
every woman has the following rights with regard to pregnancy
(1) The right to receive health care before, during,
and after pregnancy and childbirth.
(2) The right to receive care for her and her infant
that is consistent with generally accepted medical
(3) The right to choose a certified nurse midwife or
physician as her maternity care professional.
(4) The right to choose her birth setting from the full
range of birthing options available in her community.
(5) The right to leave her maternity care professional
and select another if she becomes dissatisfied with her
care, except as otherwise provided by law.
(6) The right to receive information about the names of
|HB0002 Enrolled||- 2 -||LRB101 03317 RPS 48325 b|
those health care professionals involved in her care.
(7) The right to privacy and confidentiality of
records, except as provided by law.
(8) The right to receive information concerning her
condition and proposed treatment, including methods of
(9) The right to accept or refuse any treatment, to the
extent medically possible.
(10) The right to be informed if her caregivers wish to
enroll her or her infant in a research study in accordance
with Section 3.1 of this Act.
(11) The right to access her medical records in
accordance with Section 8-2001 of the Code of Civil
(12) The right to receive information in a language in
which she can communicate in accordance with federal law.
(13) The right to receive emotional and physical
support during labor and birth.
(14) The right to freedom of movement during labor and
to give birth in the position of her choice, within
generally accepted medical standards.
(15) The right to contact with her newborn, except
where necessary care must be provided to the mother or
(16) The right to receive information about
|HB0002 Enrolled||- 3 -||LRB101 03317 RPS 48325 b|
(17) The right to decide collaboratively with
caregivers when she and her baby will leave the birth site
for home, based on their conditions and circumstances.
(18) The right to be treated with respect at all times
before, during, and after pregnancy by her health care
(19) The right of each patient, regardless of source of
payment, to examine and receive a reasonable explanation of
her total bill for services rendered by her maternity care
professional or health care provider, including itemized
charges for specific services received. Each maternity
care professional or health care provider shall be
responsible only for a reasonable explanation of those
specific services provided by the maternity care
professional or health care provider.
(b) The Department of Public Health, Department of
Healthcare and Family Services, Department of Children and
Family Services, and Department of Human Services shall post
information about these rights on their publicly available
websites. Every health care provider, day care center licensed
under the Child Care Act of 1969, Head Start, and community
center shall post information about these rights in a prominent
place and on their websites, if applicable.
(c) The Department of Public Health shall adopt rules to
implement this Section.
(d) Nothing in this Section or any rules adopted under
|HB0002 Enrolled||- 4 -||LRB101 03317 RPS 48325 b|
subsection (c) shall be construed to require a physician,
health care professional, hospital, hospital affiliate, or
health care provider to provide care inconsistent with
generally accepted medical standards or available capabilities
This Act takes effect January