(225 ILCS 65/50-55)
(was 225 ILCS 65/10-10)
(Section scheduled to be repealed on January 1, 2028)
Department powers and duties.
Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Department is authorized to exercise the following functions, powers, and duties:
(1) Conduct or authorize examinations to ascertain
the fitness and qualifications of applicants for all licenses governed by this Act, pass upon the qualifications of applicants for licenses, and issue licenses to applicants found to be fit and qualified.
(2) Adopt rules required for the administration of
this Act, in consultation with the Board where necessary.
(3) Prescribe rules for a method of examination of
(4) Prescribe rules defining what constitutes an
approved program, school, college, or department of a university, except that no program, school, college, or department of a university that refuses admittance to applicants solely on account of race, color, creed, sex, or national origin shall be approved.
(5) Conduct hearings on proceedings to revoke or
suspend licenses or on objection to the issuance of licenses and to revoke, suspend, or refuse to issue such licenses.
(6) Prepare and maintain a list of approved programs
of professional nursing education and programs of practical nursing education in this State, whose graduates, if they have the other necessary qualifications provided in this Act, shall be eligible to apply for a license to practice nursing in this State.
(7) Act upon the recommendations of the Board of
Nursing and the Illinois Nursing Workforce Center Advisory Board.
(8) Exercise the powers and duties prescribed by the
Civil Administrative Code of Illinois for the administration of licensing Acts.
(Source: P.A. 100-513, eff. 1-1-18