Updating the database of the Illinois Compiled Statutes (ILCS) is an ongoing process.
Recent laws may not yet be included in the ILCS database, but they are found on this site as Public
soon after they become law. For information concerning the relationship between statutes and Public Acts, refer to the
Because the statute database is maintained primarily for legislative drafting purposes,
statutory changes are sometimes included in the statute database before they take effect.
If the source note at the end of a Section of the statutes includes a Public Act that has
not yet taken effect, the version of the law that is currently in effect may have already
been removed from the database and you should refer to that Public Act to see the changes
made to the current law.
(20 ILCS 415/4c)
(from Ch. 127, par. 63b104c)
The following positions in State
service shall be exempt from jurisdictions A, B, and C, unless the
jurisdictions shall be extended as provided in this Act:
(1) All officers elected by the people.
(2) All positions under the Lieutenant Governor,
Secretary of State, State Treasurer, State Comptroller, State Board of Education, Clerk of the Supreme Court, Attorney General, and State Board of Elections.
(3) Judges, and officers and employees of the courts,
(4) All officers and employees of the Illinois
General Assembly, all employees of legislative commissions, all officers and employees of the Illinois Legislative Reference Bureau and the Legislative Printing Unit.
(5) All positions in the Illinois National Guard and
Illinois State Guard, paid from federal funds or positions in the State Military Service filled by enlistment and paid from State funds.
(6) All employees of the Governor at the executive
mansion and on his immediate personal staff.
(7) Directors of Departments, the Adjutant General,
the Assistant Adjutant General, the Director of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency, members of boards and commissions, and all other positions appointed by the Governor by and with the consent of the Senate.
(8) The presidents, other principal administrative
officers, and teaching, research and extension faculties of Chicago State University, Eastern Illinois University, Governors State University, Illinois State University, Northeastern Illinois University, Northern Illinois University, Western Illinois University, the Illinois Community College Board, Southern Illinois University, Illinois Board of Higher Education, University of Illinois, State Universities Civil Service System, University Retirement System of Illinois, and the administrative officers and scientific and technical staff of the Illinois State Museum.
(9) All other employees except the presidents, other
principal administrative officers, and teaching, research and extension faculties of the universities under the jurisdiction of the Board of Regents and the colleges and universities under the jurisdiction of the Board of Governors of State Colleges and Universities, Illinois Community College Board, Southern Illinois University, Illinois Board of Higher Education, Board of Governors of State Colleges and Universities, the Board of Regents, University of Illinois, State Universities Civil Service System, University Retirement System of Illinois, so long as these are subject to the provisions of the State Universities Civil Service Act.
(10) The Illinois State Police so long as they are
subject to the merit provisions of the Illinois State Police Act. Employees of the Illinois State Police Merit Board are subject to the provisions of this Code.
(12) The technical and engineering staffs of the
Department of Transportation, the Department of Nuclear Safety, the Pollution Control Board, and the Illinois Commerce Commission, and the technical and engineering staff providing architectural and engineering services in the Department of Central Management Services.
(13) All employees of the Illinois State Toll Highway
(14) The Secretary of the Illinois Workers'
(15) All persons who are appointed or employed by the
Director of Insurance under authority of Section 202 of the Illinois Insurance Code to assist the Director of Insurance in discharging his responsibilities relating to the rehabilitation, liquidation, conservation, and dissolution of companies that are subject to the jurisdiction of the Illinois Insurance Code.
(16) All employees of the St. Louis Metropolitan Area
(17) All investment officers employed by the Illinois
State Board of Investment.
(18) Employees of the Illinois Young Adult
Conservation Corps program, administered by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, authorized grantee under Title VIII of the Comprehensive Employment and Training Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. 993.
(19) Seasonal employees of the Department of
Agriculture for the operation of the Illinois State Fair and the DuQuoin State Fair, no one person receiving more than 29 days of such employment in any calendar year.
(20) All "temporary" employees hired under the
Department of Natural Resources' Illinois Conservation Service, a youth employment program that hires young people to work in State parks for a period of one year or less.
(21) All hearing officers of the Human Rights
(22) All employees of the Illinois Mathematics and
(23) All employees of the Kankakee River Valley Area
(24) The commissioners and employees of the Executive
(25) The Executive Inspectors General, including
special Executive Inspectors General, and employees of each Office of an Executive Inspector General.
(26) The commissioners and employees of the
Legislative Ethics Commission.
(27) The Legislative Inspector General, including
special Legislative Inspectors General, and employees of the Office of the Legislative Inspector General.
(28) The Auditor General's Inspector General and
employees of the Office of the Auditor General's Inspector General.
(29) All employees of the Illinois Power Agency.
(30) Employees having demonstrable, defined advanced
skills in accounting, financial reporting, or technical expertise who are employed within executive branch agencies and whose duties are directly related to the submission to the Office of the Comptroller of financial information for the publication of the annual comprehensive financial report.
(31) All employees of the Illinois Sentencing Policy
(Source: P.A. 101-652, eff. 1-1-22; 102-291, eff. 8-6-21; 102-538, eff. 8-20-21; 102-783, eff. 5-13-22; 102-813, eff. 5-13-22.)