Updating the database of the Illinois Compiled Statutes (ILCS) is an ongoing process.
Recent laws may not yet be included in the ILCS database, but they are found on this site as Public
soon after they become law. For information concerning the relationship between statutes and Public Acts, refer to the
Because the statute database is maintained primarily for legislative drafting purposes,
statutory changes are sometimes included in the statute database before they take effect.
If the source note at the end of a Section of the statutes includes a Public Act that has
not yet taken effect, the version of the law that is currently in effect may have already
been removed from the database and you should refer to that Public Act to see the changes
made to the current law.
(725 ILCS 5/124B-170)
(a) Within 30 days after publication of the notice under Section 124B-165, any person claiming an interest in the property declared forfeited may file a verified claim with the court expressing his or her interest in the property. The claim must set forth the following:
(1) The caption of the proceedings as set forth in
the notice of order of forfeiture.
(2) The claimant's name and address.
(3) The nature and extent of the claimant's interest
(4) The circumstances of the claimant's acquisition
of the interest in the property, including the date of the transfer and the identity of the transferor.
(5) The names and addresses of all other persons
known by the claimant to have an interest in the property.
(6) The specific provision of law relied on in
asserting that the property is not subject to forfeiture.
(7) All essential facts supporting each assertion.
(8) The relief sought by the claimant.
(b) The claim must be accompanied by a cost bond in the form of a cashier's check payable to the clerk of the court in the amount of 10% of the reasonable value of the property as alleged by the Attorney General or State's Attorney or the amount of $100, whichever is greater, conditioned upon the claimant's payment, in the case of forfeiture, of all costs and expenses of the proceeding under this Section.
(c) Upon the filing of a claim and cost bond as provided in this Section, the court shall determine whether the property is subject to forfeiture in accordance with this Article. If none of the seized property is declared forfeited in a proceeding under this Section, then, unless the court orders otherwise, the clerk of the court shall return to the claimant 90% of the amount deposited with the clerk as a cost bond under this Section. If any of the seized property is declared forfeited in a proceeding under this Section, then the clerk of the court shall transfer 90% of the amount deposited with the clerk as a cost bond under this Section to the prosecuting authority. In either case, the clerk shall retain the remaining 10% of the amount deposited as costs for the proceeding under this Section.
(Source: P.A. 96-712, eff. 1-1-10.)