|Public Act 094-0832
||LRB094 18311 DRJ 53622 b
AN ACT concerning health.
Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois,
represented in the General Assembly:
The Department of Public Health Powers and
Duties Law of the
Civil Administrative Code of Illinois is
amended by adding Section 2310-342 as follows:
(20 ILCS 2310/2310-342 new)
Umbilical cord blood donations.
(a) Subject to appropriations for that purpose, the
Department of Public Health shall, by January 1, 2007, prepare
and distribute to health and maternal care providers written
publications that include the following information:
(1) The medical processes involved in the collection of
umbilical cord blood.
(2) The medical risks to a mother and her newborn child
of umbilical cord blood collection.
(3) The current and potential future medical uses and
benefits of umbilical cord blood collection to a mother,
her newborn child, and her biological family.
(4) The current and potential future medical uses and
benefits of umbilical cord blood collection to persons who
are not biologically related to a mother or her newborn
(5) Any costs that may be incurred by a pregnant woman
who chooses to make an umbilical cord blood donation.
(6) Options for ownership and future use of the donated
(7) The availability in Illinois of umbilical cord
(b) In developing the publications required under
subsection (a), the Department of Public Health shall consult
with an organization of physicians licensed to practice